10.06.2009

Things I believe In


So, in examining my career options I've only had 2 breakdowns. Not bad, right? I currently have a job offer for something I don't know if I really want to do...but it's a job. Something I need, don't have, and have an option for. Hum. People keep asking me what my "passions" are....what are you passionate about? they ask. I believe they expect me to have some insightful answer about my missions to save the world and look great doing so. But I am never able to muster anything more than, "honestly I don't know. I guess that's something I need to find out..."

 I graduated with a degree in dietetics. I fell out of love with dietetics a year or so ago...far into my studies, too far into my studies to do much about my lack of love other than to break down...a common occurrence (apparently).  Just wanting to graduate and get married, I finished my degree and now, I feel lost. I've been "passionate" about service, about affecting others through lending a hand. Those who need help, need those who are willing to help to stand up to offerhelp. Simple as that. We are necessary to their existence. How can I do this? How can I locate my "passion" and make it work? Is this my mission? Is my path for life to find..my path? To search for my path is what I am supposed to do for the rest of my life? no!

Andy is almost 25. Andy loves his job. He does. He enjoys working with Kim. He loves teaching, although this isn't his exact ideal form of teaching, he enjoys what he does. But when I sit and start to stare off into space, pondering life and Andy asks me "whats going on?" and I reply something close to "I just don't know what I want to do with my life..." and he says, "yeah, me either." Then what am I supposed to think? "wow, it's going to take me 4 years (out of school) of work and meander and have 3 jobs and the maybe, I'll know what I want to do with myself. OR I'll at least be ready to move onto the next job?

I understand that there is a stage in every newly-graduated person's life where they are trying to find work, or just getting settled in a job they found before graduation. I understand that I will not find my dream job right away and that this is the "normal" whatever normal means anymore. I get that I should be thankful for any job offer, because "in this economy, jobs are few and far between as is the pay..." and such. I get it...but I feel like working, just to work is NOT what I want to be doing. I don't want to work just for the pay, the benefits or the hours. I need to encourage myself to start somewhere, tell myself (again and again if that's what it takes) that it may take time to find my place and remind myself how important it is to look back on events in life that helped to create the person one is in the present time. 

Especially in the light of marriage, I'd like to take a minute and talk about Asha Kiran Special Needs School. I was selected during the summer of 2007 to travel to India an do some unknown task at Asha Kiran. This was during the first months of Andy and I's relationship and was a true test. While there I took over for the Art instructor who was on maternity leave. What a challenge I was being called to! It was amazing and Andy was a fantastic support...what a blessing!


The School

The Taj

Some kiddos on the playground
 
After school photo shoot
!
One of my classes:)


Friday was clay day...and it was a messy day to say the least!



Asha Kiran Special Needs School started in December 1993 caters to the needs of children with Autism, Specific Learning difficulties, Hearing Impaired,Physically and Mentally Challenged and first generation learners who can either pursue academic studies or who could be trained in vocational training.

No comments:

Post a Comment