i love a snow day. heck, i love an extra day off period. these days seem so productive, so inspirational. even if i end up spending my time reading and rereading blogs, pinteresting my life away and sweeping the same five "hot spots" over and over...i'm endlessly happy on an extra day off. today, is a snow day. a pathetic seattle snow day.
when i looks like this outside in seattle...what is a girl to do but make soup, read blogs, watch home improvement shows with her husband and enjoy a bloody mary? thanks to schuelove, i made some delicious tortilla soup for the hubs and i. enjoy the pics below and see my "recipe" by scrolling all the way down.
the usual suspects, zucchini and mushrooms (already in pot), vege broth, spinach, garlic, red chili flakes, tomato, and tortellini
spinach, zucchini and mushrooms with garlic...yum
music is a necessity while cooking. not sure if you were aware of that. but music and love are what make food taste amazing...
add your vege broth, happy veggies in their hot tub
bring to a boil
in go the torts.
next step is obviously making yourself some sort of delicious beverage
top with some parm and you literally have the most amazing winter time lunch
1 medium zucchini
two handfuls mushrooms (for me this was about 8-10 small/medium mushrooms)
2 c. spinach, diced (this way Andy will eat it:)
2 T EVOO
2 T minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
a few shakes of red chili flakes
1, 15oz can diced tomatoes
4 c. vegetable broth (if you're a veg-head like myself, chicken or beef broth would work as well)
1, 10oz package of tortellini (or make your own, if you have hopes and dreams like me)
s&p to taste
parm. cheese as garnish
- turn on some music. on a day like today, i suggest s. carey or, without surprise, sufijan
- prep your vege. i did a medium dice on my zucchini, cut my mush into fourths (depending on size) and mined up my spinach - beautiful thing about cooking is you can make it up, the way you like it.
- in a large pot, gently heat up your oil over medium heat
- add garlic and sautee until fragrant, roughly 1 minute
- add in your mushrooms and sautee for 1 minute, add your zucchini. sautee your vege for a few minutes and add spinach
- lightly season with s&p, add oregano and red chili flakes
- add the can of tomatoes, liquid and all, incorporate well
- add your broth, bring to a boil
- make yourself a dirty martini, bloody mary or diet coke....asap.
- once soup is boiling, add the tortellini and cook for roughly 2-3 minutes
- taste and adjust flavor as needed, more salt? a little spice? your call
you're done. i know, ridiculously easy. dish up and serve immediately, top with parm cheese and enjoy. make sure you have some deliciously smelling candles lit in your kitchen, that your lighting is prime-time...thank you snow, and that you're loving how your spending your day off (or whatever time)...this soup will taste much better that way.
oh yeah...can't forget to share with you my other tasty creation: