ROASTED RED PEPPER TOMATO SOUP
- 3 ripe, vine ripened tomatoes
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 1 red pepper (I used the little sweet peppers, orange and red, about 6 of them - it's what I had at home)
- 1 28 oz can of organic diced tomatoes
- 3-4 Tbsp tomato paste
- sea salt and black pepper to taste/as needed
- 1 cup low-sodium organic veggie broth (if you're cool with chicken stock, it too would be delicious I'm sure)
- 1/2 cup plain almond milk
- basil and oregano (I used dry b/c it's what I had on hand) - few sprinkles
- Red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes and onions into wedges. Remove seeds from red pepper and cut into even slices (I left whole, as I used the little ones).
- Toss tomato, peppers, garlic and onion with basil, oregano, s&p, EVOO, and red pep flakes. Place all veggies on a baking sheet.. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large pot over medium to medium-high heat, add a little EVOO and more red pep lakes (if you like it hot!) and let heat up for a minute or so, add veggie broth, tomato paste, the canned tomatoes and the roasted veggies. Bring to a low boil. Season with s&p if needed.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Then use an immersion blender, food processor or blender to puree your soup (leave some whole veggies if you prefer more texture).
- Return to pot and add 1/2 cup plain almond milk (and more broth if it’s too thick for your liking).
- Cook for 5-10 minutes more on medium to medium-low heat and serve warm.
- Optional garnishes: pesto, oregano, parsley, roasted red pepper flake, parmesan cheese, basil, garlic croutons. Will keep in the fridge for several days. I served mine with avocado and it was ridiculous.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker